Friday 6 May 2011

New Towns New Living


My Interior Design story has an involved past. Brought up in New York, lived in Malta, educated in Scotland in different places, university in Edinburgh, then south east, north west , north east England. I have been around a bit.

As much as I left my Town Planning degree midway to do interior design, I know my roots are still there. I am as much involved with the story of my adopted town West Kirby as I am with sourcing fabrics.My life has been spent talking to people, discussing and in true Librian fashion me digesting then replying.

The environment in which people live in, be it one room or a town has a profound impact on the way people feel comfortable, at ease and able to do what they do best. Philanthropists like Robert Owen, Lord Lever, Cadbury family and Titus Salt were incredible people. When people were dying from disease and poor conditions in back streets- these people realised a healthy workforce made an efficient and productive workforce.

Many people following this blog might be aware of Port Sunlight on the Wirral- but might never have heard of Robert Owen and New Lanark in Scotland- a truly beautiful town down a very steep road.

Then of course you had the innovative concept of New Towns after the Second World War. Harlow, Glenrothes, Runcorn, Milton Keynes. A lot of roundabouts- but the beginnings of concept Satellite towns and spaces. And a use for concrete as seen in projects by Le Corbusier.

Lower Earley isn't one of my favourites, then neither was the mass build by some developers. Countryside in Essex were one of the first to buck the "estate" look- houses painted different colours, a mix of styles, what looked like streets and not cul de sacs. Then they had doors opening onto street- parking round the back.

If we didn't have the framework, the interiors couldn't possibly work.

No comments:

Post a Comment